mandag 17. mars 2014

Kaffeslabberas

The misadventures of a New Zealander, a Norwegian, and an Icelandic person, together in the country of the Horribly Weak Coffee.

--------------------------------------------------

We decided to have a proper Afternoon Coffee (because Afternoon Tea is for sissies and British people (no relation)). You see, it is not all that easy to get yourself a good cup of black yum in this place. I have heard a rumour that Japanese people have a liver function about half as effective as your average Scandinavian, and by the strength of their caffeinated beverages I am inclined to believe it. So we bought some fresh ground Brazilian beans and got brewin'.

But first, an improvised dinner.

Cheap Cava, because it's Monday that's why.

Bread glorious bread.
Do you know what else is expensive and hard to come by? Do you see that bread? Most Japanese bread is not bread. No really. It's not even trying. It's ... butter cake. Or something. But this baguette actually didn't totally fail at being a baguette, and so it holds the title as the first marginally decent piece of bread I've had since I left Norway. Also, take a look at the bottom left corner of the picture above. Yeah, I'll get back to that later...


Anyways, every good Norwegian knows that you can't have Kaffeslabberas (Afternoon Coffee yeah?) without waffles. And I'm not talking about your big floppy American waffle, nor your stiff and thick Belgian kind. I'm talking about Norwegian (or possibly Scandinavian) waffles. Social waffles. The Waffles of Happiness and Koselig.

Yeah I'm making waffles in Japan. What did you do today?
This is actually sugar, I swear.
Or, if it really was what both look and texture
would suggest, it would certainly explain
why my waffles were so delicious.
Of course, I had to use soy milk because Icelandic people are vampires who explode when exposed to dairy products (#CommonKnowledge). 

And of course, I didn't actually have a waffle iron. So, being a genius, I made waffle batter pancakes.

In a rectangular pan.

Is a waffle without a waffle iron still a waffle?
Is this a relevant question, or am I just
waffling?
Behold the Rectangular Scandinavian Waffle Pancakes!

I believe the word you're looking for is YUM!
But wait!

There's more.

I HAD A BROWN CHEESE! AND A GODDAMN CHEESE SLICER!


YEAH! Suck on my patriotism; it is delicious!

But I was not the only person bringing my culture to the table. My New Zealandian compatriot bestowed upon our table the gift of Vegimite*!

*I'm reading Lord of the Rings at the moment, 'kay? My English is pretty malleable.

This, the most important of New Zealand cuisine. (Sorry, Marmite people)
She also opened my eyes to the magic that is New Zealand comercials. Seriously. You go youtube that shit right now; there is a world of wonder to which you may awaken dare you only take the first step. I will even  help you. This is an airline safety video. You should click on that link. You should watch it, and come back here afterwards.


....done?

Okay.

Eventually we did get to the coffee. Lacking better equipment, we shared the use of my Bodum french press coffee cup. The afternoon streched into the late night in the end, and we just had a ballin' time.


Although in our haste we might have filled the cup up a bit too much on occation.

Now I'm going to go to sleep.

If I can.

After all, I did have quite a lot of coffee.

1 kommentar:

  1. Man, all this kitchen stuff is giving me such nostalgia feels right now. The egg carton, the baking powder, the friggin' SQUARE PAN! bee-tee-dubs, you should be able to find a waffle maker at an electronic store, we had one at our old dorm

    SvarSlett