torsdag 22. mai 2014

How to individually wrap a cup of drip coffee, and a look at my morning routine

Japan is and remains the land of convenience and excessive wrapping. They have a solution for anything, and everything comes in a bag. When you take your plastic-wrapped product out of its bag to open, you usually find that the contents are lovingly individually wrapped. Because we do not want the cookies to contaminate each other. At the checkout counter, these bags get placed in additional bags for safe-keeping. Hot and cold items get separate bags. And since there are no dustbins (yay for British English), I usually come home with fifty-some bags in my bag. I PUT THEM IN A BAG.

A good example of this wrappy convenience comes in the shape of a bag of coffee I got.
Super special
I know I know I know all my barista friends hate me for this, but in the morning I'm not looking for good coffee. I'm looking for roundhouse-kick-to-the-brain so thick you eat it with a spoon coffee. And since I don't have a proper coffee-maker at home at all, instant it is.

But this is instant coffee with a twist.

Inside the bag, each cup has it's own bag. First, you eagerly await the water to boil (for example by snuggling back to bed until the beeper on the stove tells you it's ready).
 
I don't have a kettle. I have one pan.
I use it for everything. It's a good pan.

The contents of each bag is a bona-fide one-cup coffee filter, with filter-coffee inside.

It opens up like a beautiful flower.

You put it on your cup.

You manually pour water into the filter, making a huge mess and spilling boiling water everywhere. Try not to get it on your hands.

Then you wait for a bit, refilling the filter at need.

Cup full? Remove filter. It is garbage now. Throw it away.

Now you are ready to watch the news, get energized, and face your daily commute full of that early morning vitality and enthusiasm.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar