søndag 4. mai 2014

Just some everyday stuff (aka Cribs, specifically mine)

I've been very domestic today, keepin' it cool cleaning bathrooms and laundering clothes things and STUFF. Generally trying to make my living space into a place where I can happily spend the five minutes between coming home and falling asleep. It was so clean and pretty when I arrived here a month ago and I was like "Imma keep it like that fo'SHOE!". If anything, evidence has shown that I let myself go real easy...

Made me realize I never actually bothered to present said living space on this here internet thing-bugger, and thought that huh. Might as well.

I present to you: My humble abode!

Hey, look at that! An actual bed!
Got all the necessities: Bed, chair, yoga mat, large-ish desk, shelves and closet to the left there as you clearly can't see. (Only thing I'm missing is a full length mirror, for which I use my windows when it's dark out.) All in all, from what people were telling me Tokyo medium-term accomodation for foreigners usually entails, the standard of living here is wahay higher than I'd expected. Of course, it is the most expensive accomodation offered by the university, but it's still way cheaper than SiT back home so you won't hear no complaining from me.

First of all, remove your shoes before you enter. What are you, a barbarian?



Waste no space, want no space.
Once you enter, the bathroom is on your left. I gave it its first real thorough scrubbing today, which turned out to be a lot more challenging than I had imagined. Thankfully my years as a yoga practitioner allowed me to strike all the severely awkward poses required to clean this tiny, tiny room.

But hey, the space is perfectly big enough for everyday use. I'm just really glad I'm not a little bit taller.

"My legs have this much space when I'm doing the toileting"
My room also contains a kitchen! ...ish.
Ta-da!
It's a stove and a sink, used primarily for coffee and noodles.
Let's see how this pans out (LOL PUN).
Of course, it's important that I clean the pan thoroughly, as I only have the one, and ramen-flavoured greasy coffee is a lot less tasty than you think it is.

As a consequence, I have mastered the art of doing dishes in the Japanese way. That is to say, with a sponge. I miss dishwashing brushes I really really do. 

"I don't trust you."
The kitchen was completely empty when I first arrived, so I had to buy everything new (there was a closet with used free stuff in the dorm lobby, but it was icky icky ew nope nope ... not very clean and fresh looking. I decided a small investment was worth it).

Because of both money and space (and my low ammount of both), I only bought the barest of essentials. So here are all my kitchen utensils neatly lined up:

Yes, a cheese slicer constitutes as "bare essentials". Even in a country without real cheese.
No sharp knife, because no cutting board and no space. Take a wild guess: do you think I cook at home often?

Stairway to heaven.
My fridge is an excellent shelf for my jacket and wallet, and my (mostly empty) red suitcase of destiny makes a good towelrack.

The contents of my fridge reflects how much I use them.

Half  of an old cabbage, eggs, vegemite, brown cheese and beer.











My freezer is even more interesting.

But who doesn't like ice cubes?!?
The water in the sink tastes like it was tapped straight from a community pool, so I buy a lot of these big bottles.

The used bottles make decent dumbells. 
Seriously, I have tasted water in many countries and even as a fenomenally water-spoiled Norwegian I'm usually okay with the taste even when I'm told I shouldn't drink it for health reasons. But the water here... I've heard that it is about as clean as it can get, but I think I prefer the taste of germs to the taste of chlorine, thankyouverymuch.

And that's all for now, folks.

I'll leave you with the lock on my door.

"No shit..."



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar