søndag 1. juni 2014

A mildly unexpected journey (and the cheapo night bus sucks)

I rather suddenly went to Kyoto.

ANSA (the Association of Norwegian Students Abroad) was holding a course to which I got invited, being as I am both a Norwegian Student Abroad and a member of ANSA Japan (nevermind the fact that I only ever joined up because of the sweet insurance deal. That is not something I will ever tell anyone now, because I have learned a thing or two lately). I basically heard the words "free Ryokan", and signed up. It's that easy to get me to go anywhere.

Then some time passed, and on thursday I more or less realized that I was supposed to be in Kyoto the next day. Ooops, should probably have planned that one better. Consequently, I more or less immediately decided to take the liberty of taking Friday off, bought the cheapest night bus ticket I could find and packed my bag.

And you can bet I was feeling pretty bohemian. 

"Backpacking"


The night bus was horrible. Absolute rubbish. My knees crashed into the seat in front of me when its occupant leaned it back. The choice I faced was draw my feet up of the floor or face serious bruising. I had bought snacks, drinks and provisions but I might as well not have bothered because I literally could not access the bag under my seat without getting inappropriatelly physical with the lady next to me. It felt like eight hours of being stuck in a very small box, where every time I managed to doze off for a few minutes this "pleasant" female voice gave the same lengthy pre-recorded announcement in Japanese. And then English. And then Chinese. And then Korean.

It was the least comfortable night I have ever had. Ever

Do not, under any but the most dire of circumstances, buy the cheapest possible night bus in Japan. It is not worth it.

After a long long long long time, getting off at Kyoto station felt a little bit like being born (I imagine). Muscles screaming, blinking in the bright light, I stumbled nose first into a very nice weekend.

Now, on the other hand, I very recently stumbeled hair first home, and I need sleep asap. For that reason I will now leave you with a big 

TO BE CONTINUED

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar