mandag 14. juli 2014

Preparing to namedrop, and More Than Sushi - The first installment of the long-unawaited sub-series about food

Finally, after untold hours of scrounging the internet, I've found a room in Ikebukuro that seem to be just exactly what I'm looking for. And it's available from August 15th, which is almost too perfect to believe. Now I just have to make sure these people rent it out to me, and not some other gal...

In other words, I'm getting ready to shamelessly namedrop Tokyo University and the Royal Norwegian Embassy like a true butt-licker. If that doesn't work, I'll offer to give English lessons to somebodys grandchildren or something. THESE PEOPLE WANT ME AS THEIR TENNANT, and I will make them know it! ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ


In other news, I've been working myself silly lately trying to tie up lose ends before I say bayh-bayh to the Toh-Dai. I can't believe I only have two weeks left here! Shit, I have... really mixed feelings about that.

When I have more time I'll go on a long rant about all the things about being an exchange student here that I'm going to work on improving while I work at the embassy, but in the mean time (since it's late and people will come to check my fire alarm tomorrow which means that I really should at least take out the 500 empty pepsi cans I've accumulated, and possibly vacuum clean just a littlebit), I present to you:

More Than Sushi

Your irregularly updated and poorly researched guide to Japanese food that is not vinegared rice with various toppings

Basically, just pictures of some stuff I've eaten. I've been planning this for a while, which means I've accumulated a good ammount of dishes for my lazy blogging pleasure.

Let's start wiiiiiith.... LUNCH!

This particular lunch was one I had on a training-day at the embassy, so it's a tad classier than my usual cafeteria-fare.
So this, as far as I understand, is a fairly typical Japanese set-meal. It generally always contains miso soup and a bowl of rice, and then some combination of mains and veggies (usually pickled, in my limited experience). In this case we see my friend the umeboshi making a guest appearance. 

Point 1: this is black-belt level chopsticking right here. See that fried fish? Yeah, it's on the bone. And you pick the meat off wiiiith ya'chopsticks. Suffice to say I struggled. And the natives only laughed at my predicament.

Point 2: Yes that is a raw egg on my rice. The Japanese love it, and I kinda dig it too no matter how much it makes Gordon Ramseys blood vessels pop in fear and rage. Japan (apparently) has very strict laws for poultry production, and since everyone eats raw egg all the time and most people survive it just fine, I'm jumping on egg-train. Besides, the hot rice mostly cooks the thing anyway.

Point 2.5: Actually, this particular eatery has a specialty. What is it? Your lunch comes with all you can eat raw egg. Take that, Gordon Ramsey!

Point 2.75: You can actually find chicken sashimi here. Real, bona-fide RAAAAAW CHICKKKIIIIIIN!!!! 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar